WIRED

Monday, August 10, 2009

I celebrate my birthday thrice a year.

Oh yes its true that I celebrate my birthday three times a year. It is not an impossible thing for that matter. It’s like people who are born in Feb 29th celebrate their birthday once in 4 years.

August the 22nd - This is my birthday as per English calendar. I was born on August the 22nd. I do hope that all the people who know me should remember August 22nd is my birthday. I like that date very much except as per the zodiac sign the date is a cusp. It’s a cusp of Leo and Virgo. Years ago I was confused whether I were a Leo or a Virgo, but after I read the characteristics of both the zodiac sign, I found out that I resemble more Leo than Virgo. Now I have taken it granted that I am a Leo. We are diverting from the topic, this is the date when all my close friends, my wife and my family members (not all, I will tell you later why) wish me happy birthday. This is the day I really feel like my birthday and I enjoy the most.

May the 22nd - This date is something like a guest who never leaves your home. Let’s see the story behind this. There was a time when I was too young to go to school. The school wanted me to be three months older then what I was. My parents then changed my birthday from August 22nd to May 22nd and I was admitted to school. This might seem strange to non-Indian guys but yeah my Indian brothers and sisters can understand what I am talking about. Matter of this type is exceedingly easy and common in my country. The plan was to change my birth day sometime later. The last chance to change the birth day or to register “the final” birth day was when I was filling my matriculation exam form. Whatever date you fill in the matriculation form that date would come in the matriculation certificate and will remain as your birth date forever. But that plan never worked out. Infact my mother reminded me and my father numerous times, yes numerous times, but we never listened. Then in the matriculation certificate the birth date came printed as May the 22nd. From that day onwards May 22nd officially squeezed in my life. This is the day when all my office colleagues celebrate my birthday. This is the day I receive lots of emails congratulating me. Those emails are from my bank, my credit card company, my insurance company and number of other sources where I would have registered my birthday. So this is the story of my 2nd date, my birth date I mean.

A variable date – Yes. This third birth date is not constant every year. I am not sure how I can make my non-Indian friends understand but I will try my best. There is something called Lunar Calendar. As per that calendar a particular date is not considered for a particular event. Its the season and the particular day as per the moon position is considered for that particular event. Like, I was born in August 22nd, that day was the fifth day (Panchami) of the “Krishna Paksha” (Dark-fortnight) of “Bhadraba” month. So this fifth day (Panchami) of the “Krishna Paksha” of “Bhadraba” month would fall on different dates as per English calendar every year. So my birthday as per lunar calendar falls on assorted dates every year. As per English calendar the date ranges from August first week through September first week. This is the day when my family members wishes me happy birthday. This is the day when my Mother and my Grandma do Puja for me. I love this day. This year I celebrated my birthday on August 10th.

So how was it? Interesting? Are you lucky enough to celebrate 3 birthdays in a year?

1 comment:

  1. hehehe, good writeup, i was smiling all the way through. Thankfully I have ONE SINGLE date. Now i realize how privileged i am :D :D

    ReplyDelete